Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dots and stripes


Dots and stripes
Originally uploaded by mskat

In completely shallow news, Grace wore tights today for the first time. Years ago, when i dreamt of my ideal daughter, she often wore cotton tights and cute little dresses. She'd have on Mary Janes and she'd go skipping through that world.

I never really imagined my Grace born at 25 weeks. I remember reading a preemie book, after they were born, and being emphatic in my inability to understand what it would be like to have a toddler on supplemental oxygen with a nasal cannula. I cried when I was told she might need a trach because there was no way we could do it.

Grace has always shattered expectations in ways both good and bad. But here she is, in the tights I'd always dreamed of, glasses on, balancing on one leg and ready for school.

No comments: